SHUSH is an international super-secret peacekeeping organization. At the helm is its director, J. Gander Hooter, whom is directly supported by Vladimir Gryzlikoff, the chief agent and replacement-director would anything happen to Hooter. The headquarters, SHUSH Central, are located in St. Canard, but SHUSH has facilities worldwide. The effective element of the organization are its agents, but many scientists and administrative personnel also enjoy employ for a safer world. Additionally, if a case gets over their heads and/or budget, SHUSH sometimes turns to freelance agents such as Darkwing Duck. SHUSH handles cases against many criminals and even extraterrestial threats, but their main adversary is the international terrorist organization known as F.O.W.L..
|This article is a stub. Please help Darkwing Duck Wiki by expanding it, adding pictures, and improving existing text.|
It is know that "SHUSH" is an acronym, but it is testament to SHUSH's style of secrecy that no one knows what it stands for. Darkwing Duck, SHUSH is "your basic super-secret international espionage agency". Darkwing has said he works for "the [American] government" when on SHUSH missions, while in "Smarter Than a Speeding Bullet" he calls it an international organisation. SHUSH has carried out missions in both America and the country of Oilrabia, and agents have a variety of accents. Some twenty members of the organization have had dealings with Darkwing.In the words of
|This book section is a stub. Please help Darkwing Duck Wiki by expanding it, adding pictures, and improving existing text.|
Disney Adventures comics
Disney Afternoon comics
- SHUSH is another in a long fiction tradition of secret organizations with names that are acronyms designed for the word that the letters form rather than acronyms that form naturally. Specific inspiration sources for SHUSH may have been S.H.I.E.L.D., Z.O.W.I.E., and C.O.N.T.R.O.L.
- Despite that there are numerous development documents and fiction detailing SHUSH available, not a single one mentions what SHUSH stands for. As goes with the Nintendo Power intro and the editor blurb in Boom! Studios translation of DoubleDuck Part 3, it is therefore likely no meaning to the name was ever thought up.
- As per the logo, scripts, and most prose from the 1990s, "SHUSH" is spelled without periods. It has, however, regularly been spelled with periods, like in "The Legend of the Chaos God", "Clean Money", and the Boom! Studios comics.
- The name J. Gander Hooter is, through DuckTales's J. Gander Hoover, a homage to J. Edgar Hoover, the first director of the FBI.
- In the TurboGrafx-16 game Darkwing Duck, the four bosses are introduced through their files in the SHUSH database. They each have a SHUSH ID: Steelbeak is CR-113061, Tuskerninni is RR-82787, Moliarty is RR-21690, and Megavolt is GR-112262.
- Due to the narrative purpose of SHUSH as an entrance for Darkwing into various missions, by far most confirmed deaths in the franchise are SHUSH agents.