Professor Moliarty was a diminutive mole who tried to block the sun using his invention, the Kineto Beam, which would effectively plunge St. Canard into eternal night and allow his entire race to storm the surface and conquer the city. He was stopped by Darkwing Duck, who destroyed the Kineto Beam and sent Moliarty and his fellow moles scurrying back underground where they came from. In trying to evade Darkwing during a future encounter, Moliarty dug straight through the planet and ended up in Kung Pow City. The Masked Mallard followed him anyway, and Moliarty was finally caught and turned over to the authorities in Kung Pow.
Moliarty holds the distinction as being the very first enemy Darkwing Duck ever faced if one is to take episode airdates into account. His first episode, "That Sinking Feeling", aired on Saturday, September 7th on ABC, a day before the "Darkly Dawns the Dark" TV movie pilot aired in syndication. This episode also has the distinction of being the first one written and recorded so - despite being 5th in production number - it's truly the very first epsode. Moliarty unfortunately never ended up becoming a very popular character, only appearing twice more during the syndicated run, in "Aduckyphobia" (October 7th, 1991) and with a brief appearance at the beginning of "Kung Fooled" (May of 1992).
- That Sinking Feeling
- Kung Fooled
- Crisis on Infinite Darkwings-Moliarty was beaten and captured along with Tuskernini by Darkwarrior Duck.
- Campaign Carnage-Moliarty appeared as a member of the League of Barely Remembered Supervillains, attacking Darkwing with the bazooka he used in That Sinking Feeling. He was later revealed to have been an illusion, along with the rest of the League.
- Professor Moliarty might be a play on the character name Professor James Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes enemy.
- He is also in the Disney Adventures Magazine, "Mickey's Color Adventures."
- Moliarty has appeared in both the TV series and the Darkwing Duck video game.